Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A Kosmic Grain of Sand: Levine v. Walt


I find it natural that a man with any kind of philosophical tendencies should contemplate the finality of death.  I think what can be most fascinating about poetry in general, is its ability to show the stylistic differences poets have when attempting to broach the same subject.  So when considering the possible thematic similarities of “Song of Myself” and “My Grave” one must note the incredible difference in tone that leads to each poet’s ultimately contrasting perception of mortality.  To put it simply, Levine strikes me as the no bullshit kind of poet, who essentially tells it like it is but in a metaphorical and aesthetically pleasing way.  Based on the straightforward and somewhat hopeless tone present in both of his poems, the reader can assume that death ultimately conquers the speaker, whereas in any of Walt’s poems that deal with the unknown he presents for the reader a more hopeful and “kosmic” point of view.

Whitman writes with a subtle hint of acceptance with whatever subject he is addressing, and when analyzing in particular “My Grave” I get a feeling of insignificance in regards to my life and its worth, rather than that connected feeling Walt often attempts to portray.  I guess to sum it up so as not to take up too much of your time, both poets adequately express their fears and longings, moral complications and egotistical issues, and it is truly difficult to say whether or not Levine’s existential defeats are as emotionally intoxicating as Whitman’s kosmic victories, and vice versa.

3 comments:

  1. Obligatory Hanley-esque Comment:

    Excellent + (snippet from your blog post) + ellipses = Excellent proclamation of Levine as a 'no bullshit poet'... I wholeheartedly concur.

    ~*~

    I remember you said that Sandburg seemed to try too hard to be Whitman. What would you say about Levine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely wouldn't say Levine is a 'happy' type of poet, but it's interesting that you found him as gloomy as you seem to find him, and I'm interested to see if more people in the class received his poetry in the same way you did. Thanks for the response!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iona: Pretty accurate formula for Hanley I dig it. In regards to your question about voice, for some reason I don't hear as much Walt in Levine as I did in Sandburg, but maybe I just haven't read enough..?

    Miguel: Do you not find him to be slightly gloomy? Can't put my finger on it, but there is a sadness in his work that I don't even necessarily find in Calamus.

    ReplyDelete